Pages

Friday, February 21, 2003

At Last - Time to Bottle

Rich's Vindication IPA (India Pale Ale) is at long last ready for the bottle, after a week of primary fermentation and a week clarifying in my secondary fermenter. I'm very pleased with how this brew's gone so far --- assuming tomorrow's siphoning and bottling goes as well, Vindication should be a very satisfying beer, and if it goes well enough I may enter it in Richmond's upcoming Dominion Cup contest as well as Rich's Almost-Finnish Sahti.

Speaking of great IPAs, I discovered a really amazing example of the style recently, perhaps even one to eclipse the great Stone Ruination IPA. This (relatively) new brew is Victory Brewing's HopDevil. An astoundingly hard hop hit, which then melts into all that is good about sweet, malty creaminess. Out-freaking-standing. I love this beer.

By the way, here's an excellent article on the history of India Pale Ale. This kind of teeth-in-it research is exactly what I love about beer as a hobby.

-Rich