Pages

Monday, February 03, 2003

New Week

Spaceflight
Columbia broke up over Texas. Crap, crap, crap. I'm hoping this turns into new emphasis and revenue for our space programs, but I'm no longer sure NASA is the way to go. Certainly encouraging private-sector spaceflight would help, but I've heard it said that the US Air Force might be a better home for future publically-funded ventures, if only because they wouldn't have the immense mountain of red tape NASA deals with in order to so much as scratch its behind.

Sahti
Well, well, well. I'm very glad I didn't toss the batch out when it smelled so bad during bottling. After only a few days in bottles, there's all sorts of stuff being precipitated out -- I chilled and tasted one last night, and the beer's getting better and better. That or I'm killing dissenting taste buds with each bottle. :-D Either way, given a few weeks to age, Sahti may very well be quite yummy. If I make another batch, I think I will rack the beer to my secondary carboy fermenter about three days into the process, and then bottle after an additional week of clarifying, so that the sediment won't have to wind up in the bottle.

-Rich