Pages

Friday, January 18, 2002

A Revelation

I am in the strangest mood. I just got off the phone with my ex-wife. She called at 9 this morning (two hours ago) because of a logistical thing that had reared its head, and we wound up finally having the "debriefing" that I was always wishing we'd had during our separation and divorce. It was actually a really pleasant conversation!

Make no mistake: we're done forever as a couple (thank God), but the fact that after nearly two years we were able to compare notes on stuff like the pets that we left with one another, old friends, job developments and craziness like dating; and tie up other various and sundry loose ends, was truly refreshing. It brought a polite kind of closure that I didn't know I was looking for. A friend and manager of mine told me, when all the drama started (March 17, 2000, 9:00 AM), that I should consider myself insane for two years following the initial break-up, and now, within two months of exactly two years, she and I were able to talk in a civilized way about how things have changed and/or improved since those nasty times.

What a fascinating occurrence - there was a time not so very long ago when I was convinced I'd be angry with her for the rest of my life. Now it's become a matter of essentially shaking hands, saying, "Thanks for the good times," and going our separate ways.

Wonderful. Really. :-)

-Rich

No comments: