Pages

Friday, August 02, 2002

Friday Five Yet Again

1. What is your lineage? Where are your ancestors from? My heritage is primarily German (towards the Prussian) and Finnish. These pretty well describe my two poles of focused, detailed, plot-the-takeover-of-Europe activity and depressive, existential, oh-did-we-get-spanked-by-the-Russians-again ennui. I also seem to recall some muttery around Scotland, France and England on my mother's side. In any event, I thrive in cold, wet weather like any good Scandinavian. Why was I in Richmond again?

2. Of those countries, which would you most like to visit? Already been to Germany (though I'd like to go again), but I know I love mountain lakes (no fjords in Finland, though I do pine on principle), so some sort of trip to Finland is definitely in order sooner or later.

3. Which would you least like to visit? Why? Strange question. I suppose if there were terrorist activity or some other sort of problem out there I'd be less inclined, but otherwise why would anyone choose not to travel, given the opportunity?

4. Do you do anything during the year to celebrate or recognize your heritage? I alternate between frenzy and depression several times annually. Does that count? ;-) I also like beer and fish.

5. Who were the first ancestors to move to your present country (parents, grandparents, etc)? I believe my father's side (German) has been here the longest at either three or four generations, and unless I'm mistaken my mother's mom came over on a boat.

(It's likely I've committed some grievous errors in accuracy here; Matt, do you know any better?)

-Rich

No comments: