Pages

Monday, August 26, 2002

PromoGuy's Monday Mission 2.34

1. What do you do to make things better when you feel sad and/or lonely? There're lots of things. I frequently complain, as regular readers here know. :-) Talking with someone almost always helps. I've also been known to slot a videogame or goofy movie to help with the blues.

2. Are you a "touchy-feely" person? That is, do you like to touch people you don't know that well? And on the flipside of that, do you like being touched by someone you aren't close with? NOPE and HELL NOPE. Despite my being a very tactile person, I'm not touchy-feely with strangers in any social sense of the term. In many ways I think life would be lots easier if I were the touchy type (certainly dating would).

3. Do you like to have "me" time, time to yourself to be alone and relax? Or do you prefer to just do your own thing with someone else in the room? When was the last "me" time you got and what did you do? Let's see... I sleep for about six hours a night, so that means I get about eighteen hours a day of "me time." Non-me-time is the exception, not the rule, as my job doesn't involve any real human contact during the day. In terms of leisure me-time, lately I've been reading a lot.

4. Generally speaking, how do you feel about the concept of marriage? Are you the marrying type? Do you think the act of getting married means something today or is it simply just "a piece of paper?" Again, dedicated readers will know that I take marriage very seriously and can infer that I am definitely the marrying type, but one of my fears is that marriage is becoming a useless formality. Married? Think you're never gonna get a divorce? Flip a coin. Heads, you're golden. Tails, you're single.

5. That said, as many as 25 states have passed legislation regulating who they believe should be the "marrying type." What are your thoughts on the banning of same-sex marriages? One of the important duties any society has is to perpetuate itself, and I see the legal sanction of marriage (and the tax and other privileges given) as working within that mission. Giving the privileges of marriages to non-"breeder" unions that can't increase a society's population seems misguided to me.

6. If there was one law you had the ability to create or change, what would it be? Not so much a law as a series of laws and their precedents that make up the American divorce system. My own divorce was "amicable" and I didn't get burnt by these laws per se, but there are a hell of a lot of men out there having their parental rights and personal dignity trampled by a divorce system that favors women even when they're shown to be at fault (ask Acidman). Men are guilty until proven innocent in divorce courts, to the point that the decision to marry, for many men, has become too great a financial and personal risk to merit the benefits. Hell, I'm struggling with this myself, and I miss being married.

7. What would you like someone visiting your Blog for the first time to know about you? Now is your chance! I can cook, I give great foot rubs, and I'm a decent conversationalist. :-) Turn-ons: intelligence, wit and humor. Turn-offs: radical feminism, knee-jerk liberalism and hygiene issues. I only bite if asked very nicely. I'm really just this guy, you know?

-Rich

No comments: